Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Why do I join genealogical societies and why do you?

A number of my society memberships are coming due this summer and it made me reflect on why I join these societies.  One of my main reasons for joining societies is for the publications, blogs, and webinars.

I am a member of the Utah Genealogical Association. I have no ancestors from Utah. I enjoy my membership because of SLIG, their quarterly magazine Crossroads, and their webinars.

I'm a member of the Ohio Genealogical Society. My husband has ancestors from this area but I really like their publications the Ohio Genealogy News and Ohio Genealogical Quarterly.

I'm a member of the California State Genealogical Alliance.  I live and research in California so this is a big reason. I also like their California resources on their website and their blog.

I'm a member of the California Genealogical Society and Library. I joined because of my research in California and I also like their The California Nugget.

I'm a member of the Southern California Genealogical Society. I joined because of Jamboree.  I love their website and the information it provides. They have a great blog and webinars as well as their actual library. The Searcher is a great publication frequently focusing on Southern California research.

The New England Historic Genealogical Society was one one of the very first societies that I joined. Both my husband and I have ancestors from New England. I've been fortunate to be able to visit the library itself twice and it really started me on my husband's Mayhew research. At this point they have everything: the library, The American Ancestors website and databases, The New England Historical and Genealogical Register, American Ancestors Journal, and American Ancestors.  So much for an unbelievable price.

Of course I'm a member of NGS.  The reasons? Too many to count but they include NGS Magazine and National Genealogical Society Quarterly,  UpFront with NGS blog, access to archived magazines, the NGS conference.

I'm a member of the Association of Professional Genealogists and our local Southern California APG chapter.  For a number of years I was a "publications only" member subscribing to the APG Quarterly. As a member, I have access to the members only section of the website, I get to post my business,  to attend the Professional Management Conference, and I still receive the APG Quarterly.

I'm a member of the Genealogical Society of North Orange County California and the Orange County California Genealogical Society for the talks and for the camaraderie and because they are my local societies.

My question now is... Why do you join genealogical societies and which other ones should I consider joining? 

1 comment:

Family Sleuther said...

I came across this post somewhat randomly, and am glad I did.

I frequently reach out to genealogical societies for help with the research task at hand. While I gladly pay associated research fees I rarely join.

Your piece got me to thinking about the publications, webinars and other professional development opportunities that I'm missing out on. I'll have to remedy that. Thanks!